Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Happy New Year!

 December began as a very mild month, weather-wise. In fact, on the first day of the month, Caleb and Tiggy decided to set up a swimming pool out in the yard.

As you can see, there was no snow, but it really wasn't warm enough for water sports.


In fact, the "swim" session lasted only a few moments before they made a mad dash for the indoors. Tiggy got there first and felt it would be great fun to lock Caleb out. I'm not one for such low-brow humor---unless I have a camera in my hands, that is!


But you wouldn't catch any of us swimming now! This month has seen temperatures that dipped down to -30 and snow is everywhere. The snow is still shallow enough that we've been able to indulge in a more traditional winter activity, ice skating.

The drainage pond out back is frozen with over a foot and a half of ice---plenty thick enough to be safe. This year we even thought to bring a chair out. Now I don't have to get my butt wet when I change in and out of my ice skates.

Caleb just walks out there with his skates on, but I prefer to keep my ankles, thank you very much!


Removing the snow from the pond. It's way more work than you'd think! Snow looks all cute and fluffy, but I'm pretty sure it's made of lead. We need a Zamboni!


I still can't get over having my own ice skating rink to play on. It's so luxurious to walk out back and enjoy one of my favorite activities while watching the sun set across the fields.



In my mind, I transform into a beautiful figure skater, alive with poise and grace.

Until Caleb gets my camera and I find out that I look like a Giant Panda on stilts. (I won't even let you see the ones he took from a distance!)


And this is what it looks like when a Giant Panda on stilts starts to fall over backwards...




From beginning to end, December has been a very special month for us---as it should be. We took the time to have fun, which is not something I'm really good at usually.

Now it's time to gear up for a new year stuffed with lots of new challenges and new blessings. I'm beginning two part-time jobs, one as a substitute teacher, and one at the local Tiny Box Store (as opposed to Big Box Store---get it?). I'm looking forward to them, as the bloom is somewhat off the cleaning-lady rose. It will be nice to earn money doing something that doesn't involve cleaning toilets.

Yes, the new year will be an adventure.

It always is.

Happy New Year!

1 comment: