Monday, November 7, 2011

Cookbook Review

This was a very dangerous recipe to test, as it turns out. I hope you all are appreciative. How was I to know that the veggie turkey in the freezer was ALL destined for sacred Thanksgiving feasting? And that I couldn't even use part of it without sighs and recriminations? Experience, you say?

Orange and Maple Glazed Roast Turkey

Ingredients:
Turkey
Butter
Orange Juice
Maple syrup
Chili powder
Salt
Chicken Broth
Flour

In my efforts to placate the outraged Guardian of Thanksgiving Bliss, I only used a small bit of veggie turkey, so to make the dish stretch farther I made rice and put the turkey in slices over it. Aside from the obvious ones of turkey and chicken broth, there were no other substitutions in this recipe.

Review:
The glaze was quick and easy to make, and didn't taste that bad. The whole dish was somewhat dessicated by the time it was consumed because I had to wait almost an hour for the camera to get back from Williston. ( >:( )Aside from a certain resemblance to old leather, it was yummy. Of course, veggie turkey is one of my favorites, so I'm a wee bit prejudiced. However, given the sensitivity of the Guardian of Thanksgiving Bliss, this is definitely NOT a recipe I will try again.

Golden Leaf Pumpkin Pie:

Ingredients:
Why bother?

I'm not crazy about pumpkin pie in general, but I really can't stand all the dairy and eggs in it. I might as well lick a chicken. So I like to make my own non-dairy version. I did follow the recipe as to the spices---which people didn't end up liking much. It called for cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, ground ginger, and ground cloves. By the time it all got in there, there was somewhat of a bitter taste. Next time I will just season it according to family tradition.

Besides that, it had soy milk instead of half-and-half, a blended up package of silken tofu (WELL blended!), pumpkin, and some sweetener. It has to bake a year and a day, but does turn out slice-able by the end. But please, can we be done with the pies for a while!?

Review:
Well, it all got eaten, though I had to plow through some of it myself. Of course, it helped that Caleb was here that weekend, and a teen-age boy is the next best thing to a goat for getting rid of left-overs. My favorite way to eat pumpkin is to make the pie mix, pour it in a baking pan, sprinkle a dry yellow (I wonder how chocolate would taste...hmmmmm) cake mix over the top, then pour melted butter over that, and sprinkle with chopped nuts. Pumpkin crunch is delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment