Monday, December 27, 2010

Roads and Other Dangerous Wildlife of North Dakota

I was feeling better by the end of the day my accident happened. After some of the people that stopped to help turned around and went home because the roads were so bad. And after my dad-to-the-rescue and I passed a young lady in the ditch on our way home. He helped the many genial souls who also stopped pull her out before we went on our way again.

It was during that wait that the most comforting thing of all happened. A Divide County sheriff's deputy pulled up to assist with the rescue. He opened the door and stepped briskly from the vehicle, the picture of law enforcement professionalism. Then his feet slid straight out from under him and he ended up dangling from his elbows. I decided it wasn't quite the humiliation to have crashed in those conditions after all .

Since the storm the roads have continued to be covered with sheets of solid ice. It has only been in the last few days that the road has really started to be visible again. We had a snow storm on Monday that dumped slippery snow on top of the ice. I called in absent to work on Monday because this is what the road looked like that morning.



Then on Tuesday when I drove down, I passed a limo, a minivan, a pickup, two churned up places where people had already been pulled out, and 2 semis. I was a nervous wreck by the time I crept triumphantly into the Walmart parking lot!



No comments:

Post a Comment